'Fire area checklist' is very important as it guides you through stages of making, using and decommissioning a fire, and also how the group should act around it.
Before making a fire
Have you checked;
- All your safety equipment (e.g. first aid kit including burns kit, mobile phone)
- The fire box (e.g. gauntlets, fire steel, cotton wool, fire blanket)
- If you have a bucket of water
- The weather (thunder, lighting, and wind)
The above information is also relevant for kettles. For further information about equipment, please see the equipment guidance section.
Group management around a fire
- Briefed your group (code of conduct—at the fire circle/lighting your fire)
- Made a mental note of members in the group who may show unsafe tendencies in close proximity to a fire
- Got the correct adult/child ratio in place before making a fire
Guide to fire making
'Guide to fire making' is a great skill to learn, as it will help you achieve a number of activities. This guide is to help you make and manage your fire safely.
Guide to using a kettle
'Guide to using a kettle' is an important skill to learn and will ensure the you use your kettle safely.